Monday 7 March 2016

International Womens Day

MY BRILLIANT CAREER

I trained as a Hairdresser/Beautician in Melbourne and became a salon manager
at age19.Bitten by the travel bug in the early 70s,I joined the Merchant Navy,touring
the Pacific Islands and the Far East as manager of a Beauty Salon on the cruise
liner,Marco Polo.

MY FIRST BUSINESS VENTURE

After moving to Port Maquarie,NSW,I opened my first hairdressing business,which
proved to be very successful.I was 24 years old.Throughout my career,I backed my
own ability and relied on the help of my bank manager,my accountant and my
solicitor for guidance.

SELF- EMPLOYMENT.

I heartily recommend self- employment,as it freed me from the constraints of
gender bias in the workplace for myself and my staff.From time to time, I
I employed both men and women,paying them equally and taking into
consideration the demands of family life,both theirs and mine.

FRINGE BENEFITS

Running a business meant that I was a positive role model to my sons.It sure
helped that I employed very cool trainees.
Now,living my independent lifestyle as a solo retiree is a direct result of being
self employed.
For the record,I liked being married........occasionally!

No comments: